Wednesday 17 June 2015

How focusing on the 5 km distance got me back up and running

You may remember my post about me walking the 10km event at the Melbourne Marathon last year. I've tried to train to run 10km numerous times over the years and always ended up spending a fortune at the osteopath sorting out lower back and hip issues that kept reoccurring. So I'd swapped my running shoes for walking and spin classes for a while.

Still, with the prospect of my black belt on the horizon, I started thinking about ways to increase my cardiovascular fitness. Hubby had joined a local running group and was really enjoying it and he encouraged me to go along to one of their regular beginners nights. Of course I had all the usual worries about being the fattest and slowest and holding everyone up, but it wasn't like that at all. It was a great group of supportive people who catered for all levels. So I started walk/running about 4km with them twice a week. I didn't have any major issues with my back or hips and the little improvements I was seeing each week spurred me on. 

After a little while I also decided to start coming along to the local parkrun on a Saturday, and set myself the goal of being able to run the whole 5km without stopping. I achieved that after a few weeks and then I set my sights on a sub-35 min time, which I achieved a few weeks ago. 

What's the point of this post? The point is that sometimes setting smaller goals is ok. A lot of people get into running with the goal of running a marathon one day. I've got a lot of friends who run half and full marathons and so I thought I had to at least focus on the 10k to be able to call myself a runner. In pushing myself to achieve that I kept ending up injured and giving up. It wasn't fun.

The point is that you have to start where you are. In focusing on the 5km distance I've actually started to really enjoy running. I'm building the strength in my body and I'm seeing measurable improvements every week. It's fun!!

I've signed up for the 5.7 km run at the Gold Coast marathon next month and I'm looking forward to it. I know I'll be able to do it without causing myself injury or pain. 

I have also signed up for the 10km at the Melbourne marathon in October but at least by that time I'll have built my strength and fitness up to a point that I can do it comfortably rather than pushing my body to do something that it's not ready for.

The point is - it's good to have big scary goals and to challenge yourself, but don't forget to set the little goals along the way that will help you to get there.

Most importantly, don't let anyone (including yourself!) minimise your goals or achievements, or tell you they are not "big" enough - it's all relative!

No comments:

Post a Comment